The proposed defense budget for fiscal year 2018 was announced on Tuesday, May 23. If approved, beginning October 1 a $574.5 billion budget will go in effect to support our nation’s defense. If you include defense-related spending by the Energy and Justice departments, it’s $603 billion—plus an additional $65 billion for the war-fighting fund.
This jump reflects a 10 percent increase from the last full-year budget, and a 9.5 percent increase from the current fiscal year budget.
Mark Cancian, a defense budget specialist and former Office of Management and Budget Analyst, says the increase in budget “will be helpful, but not nearly what is needed to recapitalize the force or meet the expectations the administration has set,” according to Bloomberg Government.
As the defense budget is only expected to climb in the next five years, defense contractors like ADS, Inc. (as depicted in the chart to the right) will be relied on more heavily to allocate these funds towards mission critical operational equipment and services. To meet this requirement head on, ADS is adding two Defense Regional Account Managers to its ranks to better serve our customers and the Department of Defense.
Regional Account Manager – Defense Industry Sales
Do you thrive on achieving aggressive goals and working independently? Are you known for your ability to turn any stranger into a friend? Are you looking for new challenges and a dynamic, fast-paced work environment?
ADS is currently seeking a Regional Account Manager to support our Defense Contractor customers. This role will require frequent travel (50-75 percent) to Defense Contractors assigned to the Account Manager.
- Develop relationships with commercial Defense Contractors
- Creatively address customer problems, becoming a true resource and solution provider
- Understand contract/funding methods and assist customers in their use
- Partner with suppliers to provide best products and values to meet customer requirements
- Determine innovative strategies to win business
- Understand and represent ADS products and services and carry out direct sales activities in order to meet company defined quotas
- Provide management with sales plan on a monthly basis
- Generate quotes for customers and assist them in identifying optimal funding vehicles
- Work with support teams (purchasing, accounting, warehouse, etc.) to ensure that all information is up to date in the system and that orders are delivered in a timely fashion
- Regularly following up on closed sales to ensure delivery and quality were as promised
- Make cold calls, face to face and via telephone prospecting to develop new business
- Monitor and report on market and competitor activities
- Must be friendly and likable—comfortable talking to anyone
- Must be utterly committed to providing legendary customer service
- 2-5 years of experience either in procurement for or selling to commercial Defense Contractors
- 2 years experience with MS Office tools, email, etc.
- 75 percent travel—must be able to meet with customers outside under all weather conditions and must be able to travel by car and plane for long distances
- Bachelors degree highly preferred, but prior sales and military experience may be substituted
- MUST be highly organized and able to juggle duties of both inside and outside sales
- Needs to understand basic business financial concepts and to be able to budget own expenses in a cost effective manner
- Able to use customer and prospect contact activities tools (CRM systems) and update relevant information held in these systems as required
- Absolutely must be a self-starter with a will and desire to be the best at what you do
- Understanding of government contracts and purchasing vehicles desired
- Prior Oracle experience a plus
ADS JOB OPENINGS
WHAT DRIVES YOU?
Started in 1997 out of the Lynnhaven Dive Center in Virginia Beach, VA with nothing more than gumption and a focus on serving the unique needs of government customers, Atlantic Diving Supply or ADS, Inc. was born.
Fast forward to 20 years later, ADS is a Top 50 Department of Defense (DoD) Contractor, a Military Friendly Gold Award recipient, and considered the Top Veteran Friendly company by U.S. Veterans Magazine. We focus on solving our customers’ challenges by providing the best product and service offerings, the broadest array of procurement options, and legendary customer service.
ADS wouldn't have been successful in serving our customers for 20+ years without the help of the Hampton Roads community, which we take great pride in. With that being said, we wanted to offer our community a glimpse into what drives our nearly 500 employees on a daily basis.